Get your Easter Spanking

I just finished my vacation book "Fifty Shades of Grey".  My friend had suggested that it was a good trashy vacation type read, and I have to say I totally agree.  For those of you whom know nothing about the book, don't read it if you are squeamish about sex.   I do have to say, I prefer the writings of Miller, Nin, and Lawrence to this novel, but it was a mindless read that was like reading the romance novels of my youth: Georgette Heyer fused with The Story of O.

Which is why this card that I made cracks me up, because I made it before I read the book...and like ALL of my work, has multiple meanings.  You never knew a card could be so deep! This card will be featured in my Nursery Crimes Etsy  shop, where all my cards with an edge go....

And before I forget and get into the story behind the card, my narrative collages and encaustic/oil landscapes and my handmade cards are now being carried by Bumble and Hive in Rhinebeck, NY.  (it is a Facebook page link as their website is not up to date) It is the most wonderful gift shop, with a honey bar, vintage and antique items and inspired art, as well as charming gifts for children. I am honored to be respresented by that shop, and if you are in Rhinebeck, stop by and check it out.  It is a door or two down from Bread Alone, in the shop that once housed No Sugar.

Back to the card. The card was designed using an antique turn of the century real photo postcard of a young girl. Her bow is an 1880s piece of scrap, and the text is from an antique nursery rhyme book. When I designed the card, it was for a bit of fun in mind for either a man or a woman, or the stray teenager, but as I was researching information on Eastern European Easter customs,(read previous blog about the egg game my Lithuanian family played)  I found this on Wikipedia: "In the Czech Republic and Slovakia a tradition of spanking or whipping is carried out on Easter Monday. In the morning, men spank women with a special handmade whip called a pomlázka (in Czech) or korbáč (in Slovak), or, in eastern Moravia and Slovakia, throw cold water on them. The pomlázka/korbáč consists of eight, twelve or even twenty-four withies (willow rods), is usually from half a meter to two meters long and decorated with coloured ribbons at the end. The spanking is not painful or intended to cause suffering. A legend says that women should be spanked with a whip in order to keep their health and beauty during the whole year."

So my friends, I hope you have a wonderful Easter/Passover.  And I am going to think about this new health/beauty custom.  It is far cheaper than a visit to the naturopath or the dermatologist!

Cheers and a tap of the egg to you all!

patti





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La Cucina

Cape Painting

Framing: Sources for Frames