Painting in the Rain

After spending the first part of the day cleaning and purging the hall closet, I took my granddaughter over to Rhinebeck to check out the Hudson Valley Pottery and Ceramic Studio, where my friend works. Alanna LOVED being there so I will enroll her in a few classes while she is here.  They have kid classes and a summer camp, and definitely a cool place for any age to play in the clay.

While she was there, I headed to Wilderstein to paint.  It was late, and I had about an hour to work before they closed.  When I arrived it was beautiful; the sky a mix of cerulean blue and clouds.

The last resident to live there was Margaret Suckley, the confidante and probably lover of FDR. She died at 100 in 1991 while still a resident of the house.  I have not gone inside yet, but the grounds have trails for hiking, and the house has a beautiful view of the Hudson. It's free to roam the grounds. I set up camp on a bench and painted. It wasn't long before the cicadas arrived to check out what I was doing, my first look at them close up.



While working on my second painting, the clouds started rolling in, and surprise... so did a warm steady summer shower..on me and my second sketch..which I think benefitted from the raindrops! Thankfully the porch was 20 or so feet away, so I threw everything in my bag and I made a run for it. It was four...the time that the grounds close, so once the rain let up, I made a bee line for the car.



I will be back..to explore the inside of the house and to absorb more of the history of its residents. And, I am sure I will be back to paint more.

The next adventure...The Butterfly Conservatory in Oneonta, NY!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La Cucina

Cape Painting

Framing: Sources for Frames