Back in School



WOAH.

The summer went by and I did not make one post!

It was a busy summer since I worked most weeks 6 days a week, whether in the Tibetan shop, teaching privately, or in my Rhinebeck studio.  I took a week of to go to the Cape, but the rest of the summer I was hard at work. Since I left teaching, summers off are a memory of the past. I thought that I would have a hard time working all summer for the first time in many years, but when you are doing things that bring you joy, and are no longer in a soul-sucking job, it isn't much like work at all.

While on vacation I got a phone call from Lea at Marist College, asking if I was interested in being in a class thru WEDC, an educational program for women in business. It was a no-brainer, and I soon found out how little I really knew about being in business.  It is a 60 hour class, and I get a certificate at the end of it. I  have to write a business plan, present it to the instructors, the class, and other outside agencies.

Being at Marist is like being in a bubble. The campus is pristine and lays along the banks of the Hudson River. I went to community colleges and state universities because I had to pay for my education and I could not afford anything more expensive. Going to a college like Marist was an unattainable dream. Though WEDC is only "housed" at Marist, and not actually part of the college, I still attend classes on campus,and I love the energy of being with the college crowd.  I am learning a lot, and can't say enough good about the program.

I have been working hard in the studio, slowly getting new clients, selling some art, obtaining new wholesale accounts. Olana and the Red Lion are doing well with my cards, and I am working on getting them into a few other local historic sites.  There is an article in progress which I will post when I have the link, and I am painting as much as possible outside before the weather takes a turn for the cold...though I may still try and paint outside.  I am thinking of trying to paint from inside the CRV if I can find places to park and paint. Sexy Sadie in not conducive to doing much more than getting me to my destinations, or doing some small watercolors inside the car.

Though I struggle at times financially, I have not broken the bank, and am keeping the studio bills paid, which is pretty good for being in business less than a year. My goal however is to start MAKING a little money so that I can draw as a salary..as working 4 days a week for no pay is tough on paying the bills at home. Besides, I need to start saving for my next vacation to the Cape in the summer.

Stay tuned, as I have promised myself to post on a weekly basis. I have adventures every week, and my new life is rich.  I leave for Barcelona in 10 days, my daughter is having a baby in a few months. It is my busy season... (those who know me are laughing, as they are thinking "when is she NOT busy??!!) Two craft shows, and holiday open house Thanksgiving weekend. It's all fab!

PS photos are of Marist, and Larry has three photographs in the Faculty show there in the art building/gallery.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La Cucina

Cape Painting

Framing: Sources for Frames