There's No Place Like Home



I have been out of my Rhinebeck Studio since the end of February.  I moved of all remaining items, loading up the Passat with as much as I could,  which had to find a home in my already filled studio and house.  I did it without so much as a look back. It was a good experience, but not it is time to move forward.

March was two rounds of NYS sales tax, and our personal and business income tax. I have yet to figure out a way to make this less painful.

Walks and adventures were limited to paved areas, as we discovered that the multiple periods of thawing and freezing created areas of mud that had the ability to suck off your shoes. One wander at Poet's walk left us muddy up to our knees. So we cut back on the roads less traveled for a bit. Plenty of time for that.

Early April bought a trip to southern California with my walking partner, but I discovered that the song lied, as it was cold and rainy half of our trip. I had underpacked, and wore the same layers of clothes that I had bought for "cool evenings" nearly every day.  We were 2 blocks from Redondo Beach, and did get to actually sit on the beach two afternoons. But not in bathing suits. In spite of poor weather, we got around - on foot, and by car when Jane wasn't working. It was a week of no figures, and only walks/good food/sight seeing, and old high school friends. It was a lovely week and hope to make a yearly trek out to the west coast for fun and sun. We found a 1910 bungalow to share that is quiet, a lovely neighborhood, and a home away from home. I travel well with Meredith, and that is no small feat to find a good travel partner. You all know--especially if you have ever had the opposite experience!

After a heinous 27 hour trip from LAX to Albany, I came home with a flu that had knocked me on my ass. It's been nearly 10 days and I am still recovering. At 58, I can not just "bounce back" like I used to, and am thankful for not having to write sub plans. I spent many days in bed, entertained by a visit from Julie, and a binge watch of the last season of Downton Abby with her. It may have been one of the most fun sick times I have had in my life EVER.

So now it is the end of April. I am home nearly every day. I have spent 25 years of my life yearning for this period of domesticity, art, tending the garden, cooking,  nurturing and tending to myself. So much of me was spent - I nearly typed "lost" - but it is never lost if you are giving love to others, to dedicating my life to everyone and everything else. I have settled in rather quickly to tending to myself, and sharing some of that with my life mate Larry. I open my date book each week to make sure I keep lots of time for me open, to have adventures, make art, and do things that excite and inspire me. I feel privileged that one more time, I can reinvent myself - and this time, to create the life I have always dreamed of. If you had told me this even 5 months ago, I would have laughed- but this time I think I've got it!

Photos of my life. Surrounded by shabby chic, books, art, what could be better?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La Cucina

Cape Painting

Framing: Sources for Frames