Paintings at Morse Museum


The Hudson Valley is rich in the arts.  One does not have to look far to find fabulous historic sites, or galleries with amazing art.  It is the BEST when a historic site and a local artist meet on a weekday night and have an opening.

Thursday afternoon I took a ride down Route 9W, past the monasteries and over the Hudson River to attend Jane Bloodgood Abrams opening "Earth, River, Sky" at Locust Grove, the Samuel B. Morse historical site.  Jane is a painter in the tradition of the Hudson River Artists, a genre of painting that I have studied over the years, a style which has been an inspiration in my own landscape painting.

Jane has a gift for creating a landscape that evokes many moods, and her work has an other-worldliness to it.  Her paintings and pastels take me to a place where if there is a God, I can feel him.

I am fortunate to own a small pastel painting by Jane of the Hudson River from Olana.  It was a gift from my husband to celebrate Christmas, a time when we were engaged, and as a tribute to where we were married. 

In addition to the gallery that presented Jane's art, the Morse gallery was open.  Morse was a Renaissance man; a leader, an inventor, an artist.  It was a fascinating journey into the past, and I shook my head in amazement as to the technological inventions of the late 19th century. However, during part of this journey he was supported by family money, and he  lived in a time where men left their wives and children behind with family to pursue their careers and seek financial security for their family.   I should have had such fortune!

The show runs through August 15th.  Visit the grounds, and make sure to stop in the gallery and gift shop.

Patti







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La Cucina

Cape Painting

Framing: Sources for Frames