Blocked Does Not Equate Bad



I was feeling blocked last week. I could not come up with any work that excited me or felt strong, I had a difficult time even getting into the studio.  Life happens, and then some. I shrugged my shoulders, accepted that I was in a low spot- and didn't give it any more energy than a passing thought.

Over the years of highs and lows of art inspiration and production, I have come to realize that being stuck is often a sign of being overloaded, overworked, and overcome. We need to take a break from our work and muse, and when one is “blocked” that is the best time to do it.

As artists, whether we compose music, paint, write, or dance, we need to live life in between our work; time to take an adventure to a museum, go see a play, or a concert, work in the garden, or make those butter cookies you've been dying to try. Make some dates with friends, and kick up your heels a bit. Go swimming, hiking, take some photos.

In the end, taking time to live is inspiration in itself that feeds our work and creativity. That show I went to see? It gave me ideas for a new direction. The funny movie bought some levity in my life and I felt better about my situation. The shop I went into? The owner wants to see my work.

Like everything else, life has a way of working itself out. The muse never wanders too far, the work will be there waiting for me to return.  Next time you feel blocked, do something fun, something different, and let it go. You’ll be back soon enough with a head full of inspiration!

PS. While I was blocked, I decided to print out a slew of photos I had taken for painting inspiration. I pinned them up on boards, chose a few, and started painting again. I had a great time, have a few paintings started- and something to work on. I would have never gotten this done had I not had some time to print up a few years of photographs!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La Cucina

Cape Painting

Framing: Sources for Frames