It's Not Always About the Money



I had a show last night from 4:30-9:30, at a lovely golf club outside of Kingston, NY. It was a fundraiser for Raising HOPE, an organization that helps women realize goals in their life, whether it be getting a car, or going to college. 

I went into the show knowing that people were not going to a craft fair- they were going to a dinner which they had paid for, and shopping was probably the last thing on their minds.

I try not to get myself too worked up about what I have to sell, as I have never learned how to predict what people are buying on any particular day. I bring what I have, and let the rest go.
To ease set up, I always rule out the space and set up in my house, take a photograph for reference; it makes set-up super easy and fast.

The event was delightful. I had a great space, next to the bar, (a popular place), and a beautiful view of the Catskill Mountains at sunset.

I did sell a small piece of art, a very cool architectural steam punk piece, and a few cards. I probably broke even with the booth fee, the items I had to donate, my materials, food and drink.  My time? Well, that was a gift to the organization.

I don't do shows like this often, as I can usually predict the outcome. But the show put me in front of a new group of local people, mostly women, who are my buyers for the most part anyway, and my participation helped a cause I believe in. It was part of my give back for all that the universe gives me. I am never down when I don't make a lot of money, because somewhere, somehow, it comes back in a variety of ways!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La Cucina

Cape Painting

Framing: Sources for Frames