On the Road: ART BAGS!

I am on the road at least once a week with art supplies and and not every bag is suitable for every situation. After years of making art and being an art teacher, I have whittled it down to four different bags that I use when I travel/teach. My goal is to get the most that I can fit in my bag, and have ease of  transporting it.

Starting from the top; a black cross-body bag, that I got for free from AARP.   I am saving my money for a bigger and better bag, but for now, this nylon freebie works just fine. It is my watercolor bag. In this small 9" x 6" x 3" bag I can pack the following:
  •  3-4 of my Kremer  pan sets,
  • fold-able cup (purchased in a camping store) 
  • folded paper paper towels,
  • waterproof and a non waterproof black ink pen
  • a pencil or two
  • an eraser
  • brushes and water-brushes. 
  • a pad of watercolor postcards, and a 6 x 9 or so watercolor book/pad.

The red bag I purchased in a second hand shop in the Adirondacks a few weeks ago for 5.00, and it is a new rolling computer case.  I plan on using to transport small art safely to galleries or stock when I visit clients or go to shows.  The rolling part sold it. And the price!

The black and white polka dot is the winner that goes with me every week to the Woodstock School of Art where I have been studying with Meredith Rosier for 7 years. It was gifted to me, and the only thing that would improve it would be a flap for the top (I have to use a plastic bag if it rains on top as a cover) as it is an open bag. Typically I carry all of my pastels, 3 or 4 large boxes/containers, a  large sketch pad that holds my drawings and blank paper, all of my watercolor supplies (that are in their own black bag above) and an assortment of drawing tools in a variety of bags/boxes. (which I need to organize a bit better) it has a few outer mesh pockets that hold my water/thermos, some latex gloves, or last minute supplies that I decide to throw in. If I am using it for oil painting, it fits my portable easel, all of my paints, a palette box with a pad of paper inside, knives, and a bunch of boards/pads/canvases. The beauty of this bad boy? It is huge, and it has wheels!

The bottom most bag was the most expensive one, but one that was my steady partner in teaching for many years and is made by the bag company Thirty One. It does not have wheels, but it holds a ton of books, supplies, and has 6 outer pockets which hold liquid media such as glue, matte medium, gesso etc. It can get a bit heavy, so if I don't want to carry it, I plop it on my wheeling luggage carrier, secure with a bungee, and voilla.

Scour yard sales, junk stores, etc. for your bags. You dont' have to pay a fortune for bags that are specifially for art supplies. Save that money for paint or paper!

Please leave a comment on any hints you have on taking your art on the road! I'd love to hear them! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La Cucina

Cape Painting

Framing: Sources for Frames