Watercolors: Kremer Pigments





I often work in watercolors. Though they can be difficult, and I have made a lot of rather awful paintings using them, they are an integral part of my art life.

I have used many different brands over the years, ranging from school grade to the top of the line. I have done good and bad paintings with both. The main difference is the amount of pigment vs. fillers - the more expensive watercolors have a denser and richer color.  Think of it in terms of a mostly meat meatball vs one that is a mostly breadcrumbs meatball.

I prefer pan watercolors because I like the ease of traveling with them. When I hike/travel, I have a small cross body bag that fits a 9 x 6" watercolor pad, 3-4 full sets of watercolor, brushes, paper towel, and collapsable cup. If I don't want to carry water on me, I bring my water brushes, although carrying water with you is always a good thing. 

I discovered Kremer Pigments which is in located in Chelsea in NYC . My abstract drawing teacher/mentor/friend introduced me to them and after using hers, I fell in love, and every year or so I buy myself a present of one of their sets, or build my own set. They last forever and I can always replace the colors that I run out of. (a painted color chart with numbers comes with each set). I use them in both my design work, and my fine art work. 

THIS WEEKEND THEY ARE HAVING A 20% off sale. Well, it is Tuesday, but they are suggesting people load up their cart over the weekend, and then buy on Tuesday, as their website can get all jammed up with everyone trying to shop on the same day. If you have a bit of cash burning a hole in your pocket because you sold a bunch of art, or Uncle Sam finally sent you your refund (I am still waiting...) then this sale might be for you.

They also offer classes in paint making etc.  One day I will go down and do that. Right now I am too busy painting.

Next blog: Taking Art and Art Supplies on the Road








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La Cucina

Cape Painting

Framing: Sources for Frames