"Back Home Again" (by Eigthavenue)



I thought of this song when I was sitting at my desk this morning, enjoying the prospect of a day off at home. It's been a long time since I have spent a day by myself without any responsibilities.

My trip back home was stressful. Heavy turbulence made me grip the edge of my seat. The announcement that we could not land in Stewart, my final destination, due to severe storms, and that we have to be diverted as we were running out of fuel made me and everyone else sigh. The hour wait for a bus to bring us from Pennsylvania to Newburgh. Four hours later than scheduled,I arrived on New York soil.

I tried to not get upset. After all, I was not in the same position of the man next to me whose father was dying, and he spent 3x the money to fly a day earlier to see him, and in the end he could not get there today anyway.

But I am home now....and the words of John Denver rang true as I rode home on the bus, the storm clouds swirling over the mountaintops:

There's a storm across the valley,
clouds are rollin' in,
The afternoon is heavy on your shoulders.
There's a truck out on the four lane,
a mile or more away,
The whinin' of his wheels just makes it colder...
...Hey, it's good to be back home again.
Sometimes this old farm
feels like a long-lost friend.
Yes! Hey it's good to be back home again.

I was glad to be digging in the dirt, picking the produce, and for spending the first half of the day cooking. I was at home again.

This rendition of Denver's song is lovely..it has a lot of soul.

Patti O Landing

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La Cucina

Cape Painting

Framing: Sources for Frames