Full Day #1

First full day of vacation. The first painting was my memory of dawn as seen through slatted eyes before I drifted back off to sleep. With the image seared in my pre-coffee brain, I painted in a trance-like state.  Watercolor on 6x6 Strathmore Artist Watercolor Tiles 400 series. I love a square and though I work in various size formats, square is my all time favorite magical shape.

 The next was a composite sketch that I did while walking to the reservoir causeway and in the state forest preserve. I would walk a bit, then sketch a few components in the area I randomly stopped at. I used a Windsor Newton black watercolor marker with a water brush to make washes, then added color/ iridescent watercolor to the ink sketch when I returned to the cabin.  I found that I could not get a dense rich black with the brush- I may go back in a few places with a more permanent ink... time to try my Montblanc Magic Black!

Of course there was floating, and snacking, and conversation.....which made for a perfect day.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La Cucina

Cape Painting

Framing: Sources for Frames