On the Road Again: Packing

On the Road (Again) Packing

Have not written as I have been busy as I had my grandson for a few weeks, and put all but the most pressing jobs and projects aside for quality time for him. If there is one thing I have lived in this colorful life I have had, is people you love come first. 

A month or two ago I wrote a blog about my art bags. Faced with a road trip and minimal time to get ready, I had to make a hard decision as to what supplies I was bringing. I decided to take ONLY what fit in my new red office/computer bag, a 5.00 bargain in a second hand shop in Warrensburg, NY. It was new with tags no less! 

I have used this bag a few times to transport small pieces to galleries. Though it does not fit more than 2-6 pieces, I can stack a smaller bag on top, and easily wheel them to the gallery. 

Life has been complicated, and my current mantra is simplicity. I decided upon watercolors, as they are easy to hike with, dry quickly, and I can stack my art for transportation in a book. No pastel dust, no messy oils to dry. I am on vacation, and wanted to also let go of the notion that everything has to be a product. I was inspired by the rawness of watercolor and free painting in Frida Kahlo’s sketchbooks, still carrying the inspiration from her show at the Brooklyn Museum this spring. 

Here are some photos of what I was able to pack in this small office bag that wheels with ease. The pink pencil case houses ink pens, watercolor pencils, knives, pencils, charcoal etc. The black bag houses a majority of my watercolor materials, and can be used as a field bag. Brushes are protected in a canvas pencil case. I carry a variety of journals and papers, none being larger than 8 x 8 for this trip. Painters tape, business cards, smaller items fit easily in the front two zippered sections. I was surprised how much I could fit in this bag! 

Thus far, I am very pleased. I hope to post my process each day in a short blog! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La Cucina

Cape Painting

Framing: Sources for Frames