Tool/Tip of the Week


I have been in the studio working away. It is the week that I finish what I can, package, label, and price.

Each year I wonder if I should have made more of this, or more of that, but in the end I end up taking a deep breath, and muttering "it is what it is".

I made a few collages which have some 3-D attachments, and am framing them in vintage frames, but not putting them under glass. I love them this way, and the art seems more accessible if it isn't hidden under a layer of glass and framing spacers. The problem was how to attach the items. Glue? Wire?

Glue is a tricky thing. Its composition and color can change over time, discoloring the art, or becoming brittle and no longer holding. Other than the Acid Free Bookbinding glue that I use with most of my collage work, I usually don't like to use glue. (save for the hot glue gun that was a necessity gluing vintage tinsel rope onto antique cards ) I decided that glue was not an option.

I bought out my trusty Dremmel, one of the best gifts that Larry has given me. Another gift that came with it was a drill press stand that the Dremmel slides into. I used a very fine bit, and it drilled smooth perfect holes in both a canvas board, and through a collaged mat board. I used very fine silver wire to attach the items to the artwork, and it looked fabulous. The items were secure, the wiring blended in/worked with the piece, and it was a minimum amount of work, which is always a good thing.

I have tomorrow to finish up any work that needs to be finished. Friday afternoon I will be deciding what to bring for display, and gather up all my goods.

Off to bed to put heat on me achin' back, and read a bit more of the Girl and the Unicorn (is that the name of it?).

Patti O Production

PHOTOS: two of the MANY handmade mini-work-of-art greeting cards that I will have this weekend!

Comments

Andrea said…
The Dremel is the bomb! It's great for carving and polishing, too.
Tangled Stitch said…
good luck at your shows! Love the pieces!

Popular posts from this blog

La Cucina

Cape Painting

Framing: Sources for Frames