Wo Fo Yo O



In two days I am going to be spending four days living a very different life style than I do now as Thursday after school I am heading to a Buddhist Retreat Center for an Art/Mindfulness Seminar - Wo Fo Yo O.

I have received an email outlining our activities at the Center, which was founded by the Vietnamese Monk Thich Nhat Hanh. Reality has set in, and a few negative thoughts crept into my mind---can I really do this? Can I practice the Noble Silence which lasts from bedtime till after breakfast? That is nearly 12 hours of silence, from ME who LOVES to talk. All that meditation from ME who LOVES TO KEEP IN MOTION. Arise at 5 am from ME who CAN'T EVEN GET UP AT 6 AM WHEN THE ALARM GOES OFF.

The schedule is rigorous.

05:00am Wake-up
05:30 Sitting Meditation/ Chanting
07:00 Exercise
08:00 Breakfast
09:30 Working Meditation
11:30 Walking Meditation
2:00pm Personal Time
03:00 Dharma Discussion/Activities
05:00 Sitting/Chanting
06:00 Dinner
07:00 Self study time
10:00 Lights out.

I am on the phone with a few friends. "Why didn't I start with a one day practice retreat?" I groan. "No, instead I do a three night four day retreat!"

I have so much to do in order to do nothing. Well, it isn't nothing, but it will be like driving 60 mph and slamming on the brakes.

In the words of Winnie the Pooh..."oh bother".

Patti O Retreater

Photos taken at Olana. Our anniversary was Sunday and we went up there for a picnic and a paint, but instead we had a storm. We made the best of it, as always. More to come on that....

PS... I just got this quote in an email: 'To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.'

Comments

Judy Vars said…
That sounds just fantastic.
Unknown said…
that sounds great to me! i'm not at hte point where i can go off for even a day trip without elaborate preparations - and now, in this age of cellphones, im inevitably found by a plaintive "mom, where did you put the ..." or "mom, can i go to the ... with ...." or "mom, what did you leave us to eat?" hope you enjoy and can't wait to read about your experiences! :)
Woodstock said…
OMG - $20 says at some point you're pulled aside for a "talking" to....


xo,
Ross

Popular posts from this blog

La Cucina

Cape Painting

Framing: Sources for Frames