NEW ORLEANS - adventure 2005

During spring break last year LoLo and I went to New Orleans. It was our first adventure together out of NY state. We went online a few days before my Easter break from school to see what we could find. We discovered a great deal--New Orleans for 5 days 4 nights in the French Quarter in a 4 star Hotel, The Monteleon for 465.00. Airfare was included in that price from Albany, NY. How cool was that?! It was the week between Mardi Gras and Jazz Fest, and prices were low for that period.

We had a great time. The weather for March was splendid; warm, sunny, vibrant. We spent 5 days wandering New Orleans, shopping, going to the many bars and restaurants. We visited a friend in Algiers, across the river from New Orleans. Algiers is this splendid little island where part of the movie Ray was filmed. NOTE: the carousel bar at the Monteleon is one of the best bars I have ever been to. Fun people to meet, great drinks, and I love how it slowly turns, making the trip BACK from the bathroom after a few drinks a challenge.

One of the trips we made was to Garden Street. We took the trolley until the houses became opulent and then hopped out, took out our supplies and did some drawing and painting. It was a hot day, and we sat on the steps of a large Victorian apartment house that was wide enough for the both of us and no one seemed to mind that we were there. The painting above is one of the houses across the street.

I wonder what that street is like now. Did those Victorian houses survive the wind and water, or were they too at the mercy of nature.

I tried to talk politics with a few people while I was there. I quickly learned to shut my mouth as the owners of the coal and oil companies did not want to listen to my blue state liberal jive. I was obviously out of place here and figured it was more dangerous to talk politics than go for a walk in a graveyard at night. I wonder what all these people think now?

I have not seen the new Spike Lee movie but it came highly recommended by a friend.I will make it a point to rent it when it comes out on DVD.

When you think life is bad, think of some of the people who lost everything. I do.

patti

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La Cucina

Cape Painting

Framing: Sources for Frames