Truro, Dartmouth and Adventures Oh My



The sun rises early this far north. I was wide awake at 4:30-5 when the sun rose, and I did not sleep well due to Kathryn’s fabulous brownies with homemade goat milk ice cream eaten too late in the evening -- too much sugar and caffeine before bed, plus overcharged hormones.

Breakfast was a combination of Catskill Mountain granola which I bought with me, combined with fresh ground flax seed, nuts, raisins, and other strange crunchy things which I was sure were healthy for me. The goat milk was a bit odd tasting added to the mixture, and it took some getting used to. I have to admit that I added a bit of heavy cream to it to make it a bit more palatable. The last time I drank goat milk was in 1978 on a plane in Switzerland. That time I added Amaretto to the mix.

The day was foggy, but at times the sun broke through and it became humid and HOT. Later on it got really dark, and we had a thunderstorm (which there are not many of) and some rain.

Most of the day was spent wandering around used clothing stores, really cool hardware stores, and of course, the constant eating; fresh strawberries, oat cakes, lobster, wine. I think I have gained 5 pounds, and certainly have NOT exercised NEARLY enough to compensate for ANY of the food I have eaten.

This evening we sat and looked at Margi’s art books. Both Margi Hennen and one of my traveling partners Pamela Hastings have been published in the Lark book 500 Handmade Dolls, and are well known in the field. Pamela has also released another book A Moment of Pure Joy on an Ordinary Day (soon to appear on her website).

I have been inspired on many levels, both ideas for school, and ideas on some books I could self publish about my own art. One of the titles I thought of is “Who the Hell is P.A. Gibbons?”. I won’t tell too much as one should NEVER give too much away.

Off to bed. We are going to take off and leave Margi’s house in Dartmouth and head along the south shore of Nova Scotia towards Yarmouth. Tomorrow is Canada Day, and we are prepared with out little Canada pins which were handed out to us in the hardware store.

I have been warmly welcomed in Canada, especially when discovered that I did NOT vote for Bush EITHER time, and have enjoyed some lively discussion about American AND Canadian politics.

Till tomorrow,

Patti O Traveler

PS. Farmer and host Ed taken from the back of the van in the rain. He was chopping up fallen trees on his 200 acres with companion dog Maple. 69 years old and strong as a bull, and could out do most of us at anything I bet! The landscape is out of hostess Margi’s window…her house has multiple views of the lake. By the way, it was 9 pm at night! Don't forget to go yesterday's entry for the pics I posted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La Cucina

Cape Painting

Framing: Sources for Frames