Day #3 - Working in the Garden


After what seems to weeks on end of rain, we had a full day of sunshine.

As I sipped on my coffee, I took a walk out into the garden. I was amazed at how many weeds had taken up residence in the flower beds, and the purslane was having a feast in my center veggie garden.

Purslane is a member of the portulaca family that is edible. It can be used in salads, on sandwiches, in soups, stir fried etc. It is higher than any other green in Omega 3 Fatty Acids. It is a staple in many countries, but here we consider it a pernicious weed, and rip it out. (photo from Wikipedia btw..and I believe they are copyright free...hope so)

By early summer the spinach, cilantro, and arugula are done and gone to seed. I pulled out the plants, and since there are very few veggie plants left at farmstands to put in, I resorted to planting seeds again.

I had planted tons of seeds in little pots a few weeks ago, but they must have either been no good or rotted with all the rain. Not one sunflower, cucumber, or zuccini plant came up. I am now trying purple bush beans and will see how they go. In the meantime there are lonely holes in the garden.

Alanna helped with the planting, and was rewarded with a new sprinkler to play in.At her age it is so easy to amuse her and still get my work done. It will be interesting to see how she does when I want to paint.

Off to find out how to harvest and store my bok choy and swiss chard. I have an over abundance of them and don't want to waste any. Then to do chores...have a 2 pm doc appt as either I have the worst allergies in my eyes, or else I have conjunctivitis. My eyes itch, are constantly runny, sometimes stuck together in the morning. They feel irritated, though they are not red. Fortunately I have daily contacts so they are not infected, though I suspect I am going to have to buy all new eye makeup if I do have an infection, which sucks because I have good stuff...Body Shop and Aveda, and it isn't cheap make up. Well, might as well give myself a complete makeover, lol, I sure deserve one. Just as I get one body part back in balance, another one goes out.

So much for the 50+ stage.

Patti O Planter

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La Cucina

Cape Painting

Framing: Sources for Frames