In Production


I have taken a hiatus from writing for a few days, and wishing I could take a hiatus from life too, but in the spare moments that I have when I am not dealing with life/house/family/ I go on mini-vacations, even if in my own studio, or my own head.Or, a movie--that is my most favorite place to take a trip away from reality for a few hours. The trippier, the better, LOL.

I have spent a few blocks of time in the past days to work in the studio, mostly in production making cards. It is a lovely space with a great music set up, and I am surrounded by my artwork and things that I love. Candles, scents, altars, odd collectibles, paints. I received some new paper and photographs which I bought on eBay, which is always exciting and inspiring as it gives me a jump start on ideas and designs.

Larry and I grabbed a date together tonight as I lamented that I go out with everyone except him, so at the last moment we grabbed our coats and headed to the Rosendale Cafe for dinner.

I have eaten at the Cafe sporadically over the years it has been there, and every time I go I order their house salad with Japanese Dressing. It is like coming home, and I savor each bite. When I went online to find the link for the Cafe, I discovered that Rebecca Pronsky & Lucy Wainwright Roche were singing tonight. Pronsky as been touted as the new "Joni" and Lucy is the daughter of Loudon Wainright and Suzzy Roche (of the Roches). Had I known I would have forgone the movie.

But Atonement was worth it, though a little more intense that I expected. (I went in cold with no prior knowledge of anything about the movie) The cinematography was beautiful, rich and arty. Though I walked out emotionally ruffled, I was full of images and in deep thought about the story and the characters, and reflected upon it.

Tonights image is a large photo from the first quarter of the 1900's I think,and is of a sewing factory in anywhere USA. The room is filled with women, and one lone male supervisor. WOAH. What kind of intensity would THAT be, though I know that such factories still exist, but I hope that there are WOMEN supervisors as well and that conditions are MUCH better. I think I will post this to eBay, yet, it could remain as a poignant reminder of the type of work and conditions which were available to women a mere 75+ years ago. Here's to those women, and to the women all over the world who STILL work in those factories.

Patti

Comments

Judy Vars said…
I love the way you review dinner and a movie I want to see Atonement and have Japanese dressing.

Popular posts from this blog

La Cucina

Cape Painting

Framing: Sources for Frames