The Restorative Power of Water

I had a rough start to the day. I won't get into it, but it was one of those melt down days.

Whenever I am sad or feeling stressed, I head to the studio. A bit of music, a seltzer, and some A/C made the day bearable. I spent time working on a large order, and today I forced myself to do some soldering. I find soldering a bit tedious as it is more rote rather than a creative endeavor, but at this point in time, I don't have anyone to hire to do that.

I took my break at 2:30 and laid outside for a while with my book. Within a few minutes my neighbor's car alarm went off a few times and made quite a racket for a LONG TIME.

After sweating in the sun, and trying to cool off by dripping ice water and run ice cubes over my skin, I gave up and went upstairs to my bedroom where the A/C was on and laid down for an hour nap. I had only gotten about 5 hours of sleep last night, so it was much welcomed.

I had gotten up and was walking around in a daze when Karen came by and whisked me swimming at Onteora lake, this wonderful state land with NO RULES, no ropes, as someone said, it is a "drown at your own risk" kind of place.

I don't know if it was on old quarry, but the lake is quite deep and large enough to get a really good swim in. I am not as strong a swimmer as the other women I was with, but I did manage to spend 20-30 minutes swimming steadily out into the lake.

The water was warm, a bit too warm, and I could feel myself sweating while swimming. I used to swim 1/2 a mile or more at a time many years ago, and I enjoyed being in the middle of the Catskills, with a group of women swimming the lake.

When I got out and I felt renewed. I was cooled, my muscles were warmed up and felt alive, my head was cleared, and my soul washed clean.

When Karen dropped me back home I walked into the house with a smile. I had not had one all day, which is unusual for me, but the waters purified me and made me whole again.

The photo is not of the lake that I swam in, rather of a huge kettle pond on the cape near Orleans. Now THAT I would like to check out the next time I am out there. Kyacks and rowboats, another one of my past loves.

Patti reporting from the magical mystical tour of the Catskill Mountains.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La Cucina

Cape Painting

Framing: Sources for Frames