The Reader

Larry is standing here while I type reading to me all the rejection letters received for novels/literature such as Animal Farm, Carrie, Peter Rabbit, Lolita, Madame Bovary, Leaves of Grass, The Diary of Anne Frank, et. al, trying to make me feel better about my previous rejection. It was said of Emily Dickenson that she was "generally devoid of any true poetical qualities".

What he doesn't understand is that I AM OVER IT. It's all OK. I don't compare to the above artists, at least until I am dead, but the message I did hear clear and loud is that you can't please all of the people all of the time, or even some of the time.

I have moved on.

I have had some very difficult situations at work, and it has been an effort to get up each morning and face the world of dysfunctional adolescents and adults. As a treat to myself I met a friend to see The Reader after school. A treat or a descent into the deep abyss.

I have always loved Ralph Fiennes, and his perpetual tragically self. The English Patient. The Constant Gardener, The Dutchess, Red Dragon, The End of the Affair. I am attracted to him as I am to Jeremy Irons, and wonder what it is about men who play such roles that makes me hot. Do I want to save them, bring a smile to their face, do I related to the sadness, hopelessness, and tragedy of the human condition? In all of my therapy, I have not addressed this.

The movie was excellent, the subject matter difficult. I wept several times during the movie. And just when I came up for air, I was plunged down again into dark waters.

Kate Winslet brilliantly portrayed the tragic Hanna, as was the young man who played the lead role, 18 year old David Koss. The sex scenes were hot, and yet we never forgot Hanna's odd detachment from the affair. I will not tell the story, only say that I give it 5 out of 5 stars.

In the same genre of Holocaust films and literature, I suggest Ursula Hegi's Stones From the River, an unforgettable journey told through the life of a dwarf between both World Wars. I found it insightful into how the Nazis gained control throughout Germany and brainwashed or frightened its citizens into following their beliefs.

I must go to bed now. Last night was ANOTHER night without sleep. The alarm company called twice last night, around 2 AM for the Photography Center as there was a power outage, and I wanted to scream. I am not sure what kind of sleep awaits me tonight!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La Cucina

Cape Painting

Framing: Sources for Frames