Forever Young


I had a discussion with a friend today about aging, and how we just can't do the things that we used to be able to do when we were younger. He lamented the fact that he just couldn't keep up with the younger guys once he got past a certain age. I lamented the fact that my broken ankle might not allow me to do some of the things that I liked to do. BUT----there are so many things we CAN do and I am thankful for that.
I have spent a lot of time musing about the process of aging. It is difficult for a woman to age in this society as so much emphasis is put on the beauty of the physical rather than the beauty of the person as a whole. In other societies older people are honored; in ours, we become invisible and useless.
I am at a stage in my life where I have to accept the fact that I am not a young woman any more, and that I will never have back the skin, firmness, and beauty of youth. But I am still beautiful, and I have an inner beauty built upon the experiences of my life.
To keep young I live sensuously in all ways and try to live each day to its fullest. I absorb and savor the energy of youth, the warmth of the sun, the taste of a good wine or meal, touch, laughter, joy. In the email I sent to my friend I said "by having a young spirit...you can transcend some of the damages that age wrecks upon us. Love your body no matter what, and the rest --- as my friend says, is smoke and mirrors. And love the one you're with.
I take my natural anti-inflammatories, I use some Retin A on my face. I try and keep myself in good shape, and treat my body kindly.....and I believe in moderation. And in the words of the luminary Bob Dylan
May God bless and keep you always,
May your wishes all come true,
May you always do for others
And let others do for you.
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung,
May you stay forever young
May you grow up to be righteous,
May you grow up to be true,
May you always know the truth
And see the lights surrounding you.
May you always be courageous,
Stand upright and be strong,
May you stay forever young.
May your hands always be busy,
May your feet always be swift,
May you have a strong foundation
When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful,
May your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young,
Forever young, forever young,
May you stay forever young.

Comments

Judy Vars said…
Hi Patti,
I needed to hear those words today.
I sometimes often rage at getting older feel angry at my and others attitudes towards olders and fatters. I'ts just bullshit. Thank you for the reality check.
Judy

Popular posts from this blog

La Cucina

Cape Painting

Framing: Sources for Frames