Those Lovely Bones



On my way to therapy, I was half listening to my iPod which was playing through the stereo in my car.

A Joni song came on, “Slouching Towards Bethlehem” which is based upon a poem by Irish poet W.B. Yeats.

One of his poems, The Lake Isle of Inisfree, was inspiration for an art lesson. Once I knew this poem by heart……

“I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made:
Nine bean-rows will I have there, a hive for the honey-bee,
And live alone in the bee-loud glade.

And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow,
Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket sings;
There midnight's all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow,
And evening full of the linnet's wings.

I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore;
While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements gray,
I hear it in the deep heart's core.”

And I will find peace there. I will find peace. I will. Find. Peace.

The line from the Joni song jolted me out of my fog:

“Raging and raging
It rises from the deep
Opening its eyes
After twenty centuries
Vexed to a nightmare
Out of a stony sleep”

Oh how apropos a line before I go in to face my beasts I thought...

After my session I met up with Karen and we did a three mile walk up a country road.I walked hard and fast, almost as if I were trying to keep two steps ahead of the beast I left behind.

We passed through small family farms, rotting trees precariously overhanging the road. I almost stepped upon some creature, which had its head snapped of, probably under the tires of a car.

I stared at it. I knew then why I had hauled my camera with me. As I am shooting this poor animal, the lines echoed in my head…”Surely some revelation is at hand”

Surely.

Patti

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La Cucina

Cape Painting

Framing: Sources for Frames