The Best Medicine


I need a vacation from the vacation. It has been a busy past 6 days.

Megan leaves tomorrow for Nashville. I hired a limo to take her to NYC to LaGuardia. It would cost me about 50.00-75.00 in gas and tolls, and about 5-6 hours of drive time, so 200.00 seemed like a bargain to get them back. I had offered them the difference in $ to fly into the local airports which are much closer and easier than driving to Queens, but they did not take me up on it, so now she has no choice but to take the limo so that we don't have to drive into the city.

If you have been following my blogs over the last year or so, you already know that I DO NOT like driving in the city, or to places that I am unfamiliar with.
Perhaps when I get a GPS system that will change, but after my nightmare of getting lost in Yonkers and Westchester for hours in the pouring rain at night, I am quite reluctant to drive to the airport.

My friend Gary is slipping away..his mother told me he is eating less and less. I am going to visit him tomorrow. Each time I go I wonder if it is the last time I will see him. Yet I know it is time for him to let go, that it is OK to leave the earth in peace and in the love of friends and family.

Tomorrow night I have to go to a wake...my friend's mother-in-law passed away on Christmas Eve.

What keeps me going is the funny things that happen, though at the time are not so funny. In hindsight it gives me a chuckle.

Xmas eve night, after going to bed at 3:00 am, I am woken up at 6:30 by the sound of the cat gagging and throwing up three different times. Since Larry insists that Shiva sleeps with us, I make SURE he gets up and cleans up the vomit as it is happening, not wait till the morning. Except this time he did not do such a great job. I am up at the ass-crack of dawn, putting my clothes on to go downstairs as Alanna is up and wanting to see what Santa left. I grab my black lace bra which was on the floor from the previous night, and as I put it on I realize it is wet. BLECH. I suddenly realize that it is wet because the cat threw up on it. EWWWWWW.

Then later Larry makes me a much needed glass of glug. I can't wait. I sip the warm liquid and OH MY GOD my lips stick to the burning hot cup. I realize that he has taken the cup, put in the glug and put it in the microwave. Problem is, the cup has a huge gold metal rim around it which has conducted the heat and now seared the skin off my lips. "I didn't know" he pouts as I dance around like a tasmanian devil. WHAT PART DON'T YOU GET ABOUT METAL IN THE MICROWAVE I SCREAM.

The bra is in the wash, my lips are still a bit sore, and there is no kissing the yule log. Serves him right.

So when I get a bit down and out, I grab for the funny moments, and laugh, cause we all know, it's the best medicine. Oh, and a kiss from Alanna always makes things better.

Patti

Comments

Anonymous said…
I love my Goddaughter, I am so blessed to be one of her godparents. She is such a gift as are you and the rest of the family. Please send my best.

xo,
Ross
Anonymous said…
OH MY G-D!!!!!
!ahhhhhahahaaahahahaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!
I am so hysterical at your descriptives!
HAHAHAAA

I am aching from my laughter!
God blessed you with a GREAT sense of humor and ability to translate your pain into words that really do have a soothing affect in hindsight...
I hope you do not suffer long.
THANK YOU SOOO MUCH FOR THE LAUGHTER... I just wish that it was not out of so much pain on your end.
@$$ crack of dawn!!!! HAHAHAHAHAAA
"and there is no kissing the yule log."
TASMANIAN DEVIL!!!
HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA
Poor you, poor Larry, poor Shiva!

Amber

Popular posts from this blog

La Cucina

Cape Painting

Framing: Sources for Frames