Meet Jennie


I walked into the paper show and was faced with some 20 booths filled with thousands upon thousands of postcards and pieces of paper. "Where do I start?" I thought. There were lots of people lining the sides, so I decided to go down the middle where there was less traffic. Postcard buyers are a very interesting and diverse crowd, and I was not honing in on someone's territory. There are some serious buyers out there who are not to be reckoned with!

I spotted Wanda, whom I had bought from before. She always has interesting ephemera and is very nice, so I dallied a bit in her booth. In my digging, I found this piece of hand painted celluloid which was used to put onto cards, books, etc. It was simply done, but sang of the early 1900's. Wanda showed me a real photo card that was a picture of Jennie and said "here is a picture of the woman who made that. She was my cousin. She was a comely sort of gal." I looked at the photo and figured all she needed was a good orthodontist. I put her back, rummaged some more, and then thought I really needed to buy the photo as it should be kept with her artwork. It was important that they two be linked. The painting now had a face and told of a woman who loved to paint and I am sure made many things with the celluloid she painted. (there were several pieces). You might think me strange, but there are some photos I keep as I feel I knew or know the person in some way, perhaps in a past life, or in a life to come. I rescue these people from dusty boxes, tucked away in basements and attics, and periodically look at them and give them honor on a shelf, in a frame, in an art work.

This one, Jennie, has become my muse for this season.

Happy Birthday to all you scorpios out there! Patti

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La Cucina

Cape Painting

Framing: Sources for Frames