Poem To Megan in Iraq

This is the poem I wrote to my daughter in Iraq in response to the poem she sent to me. It is the last poem I have written. Ironically, the artwork that I chose is about infant mortality. It is a piece that I have given my husband.

Thoughts While Shaving My Legs

I miss you
My Meggie-O
19 year old daughter
raised on
Cherrie-O's,
Green Eggs and Ham.

I imagine you
fixing hummers
strapped in the green
Bush machine.
My sapling,
My baby,
My daughter.

I find myself
trying to get close to you
and find the razor
that you used
before you left.
While I soak
I watch how it glides
and plows the foam road
of my legs
the same way
it must have plowed yours.

I pretend my legs
are the same light pink
long, lean,
running machines
that you sport.
And I sigh.
The meaning of it all
in the tub.
The razor so close
to that edge...
the one that we share.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La Cucina

Cape Painting

Framing: Sources for Frames