A Patch of Blue

The images that I make for this blog are inspired by the most random thoughts and experiences. The process of art and writing is so complex at times, but I am willing to let the process take me where it leads.

One of my friends commented on last night's artwork on my blog. He said it looked like a pastel painting, and loved the shape/texture of the trees. I hope that people interact with my art that I post, and I always enjoy feedback or commentary. As I was heading south to New Paltz to meet Rob for dinner tonight, I caught a glimpse of a sunset almost exactly like last night's digital image; the atmosphere, colors, and the soft black velvet texture of back lit trees. It was almost a shock, a deja-vu.

I became obsessed with the image, knew my blog title but not the content, and knew that tonight's art was going to be about blue. I don't have tons of time, so I have to set a time limit for both the art and the writing, otherwise the cat litter doesn't get scooped, I don't do the laundry and forget paying the bills...

The color blue has been haunting me ever since my trip to the river photographing the ice and sky. I sat and took a few moments to meditate on it, and as I closed my eyes I saw statues of the Virgin Mary and remembered that as a child I thought the blue in her dress was the most beautiful color I had ever seen. I saw the mint candies that my grandmother had in a bowl in her apartment in Brooklyn; the color of the Hudson River ice. I saw the blues of pool liners, of my favorite blue jeans, of sapphires, and all the variations of the blues of the sky from sunrise to sunset. Though blue is a cool color on the spectrum, it represents the presence of sunlight, of warmth, of love, of sweetness- it is for me, a comfort color.

The digital collage is a portion of one of my photos, and the figure is from an antique Bouguereau print. The piece fell together rather quickly and subconsciously....but I know it is me in the clouds of most beautiful blue surrounded by the angels in my life. Tonight I feel protected and at peace, and bask in my blue skies. That will be my meditation for tonight.....and my inspiration.

patti

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La Cucina

Cape Painting

Framing: Sources for Frames