The Wall

In my series about my studio and the creative process, (one that never really ends), I have posted this picture of "the wall".

I took my 2 car garage and turned it into my studio (see early post about My Zone Part 1) and left the wall that separates the 2 parts of the garage in its entirety. Originally it was suggested that I drop the ceiling to save on heat, but I wanted to make the most of the structure of the garage, and that included the heigth of hip roof. The photo does not show it, but it is fairly large, about 20' long or more, and is about 18-20' high at its peak. It provides a wall upon which to view my work -and a solid mass to balance out the other spaces that are broken by windows or doors. It is like having a mini gallery, and I enjoy viewing my work.

I had a gallery for a while, in a very old building mid-town Kingston, with wonderful full length windows in the front and fabulous faux finished walls,HIGH ceilings draped with fabrics, federal and French antiques scattered around. I had a silent partner who had the space, and I ran it.

I miss the gallery. It was one of the joys of my life at a time when my daughter was in Iraq and I worked around the clock. Teacher by day, curator and gallery owner after school and on weekends. We had some of the best shows in the area, and the only reason I stopped was that I was too busy promoting others work and not doing my own. Plus my daughter was coming home sick and pregnant from Iraq.

My wall keeps the essence of gallery still in the foremost of my mind in my creative space. I know I am not done with my career as a gallery or store owner. I know that the year and a half that I poured my soul into making our gallery a success was not in vain. I made connections, learned a lot about organization, curating, human relations and revelled in the joy of all the creative spirits I worked with. The parties were great. Music jams and operatic performances by Bard students. The wine flowed and we made some money. And I did not go over the edge.

Off to have some clear soup and a few Sushi rolls. I changed my mind about Lolita last night and started watching Seven Years in Tibet instead. I am not sure that I am enjoying the movie. Brad Pitt is not one of my faves, I can't stand his accent nor his cocky attitude thus far in the movie. I am guessing I know where this is heading, but I will finish it over the next day or so. I do like the images of the monastery and the score. I keep hoping there is more.

Namaste, Patti
(namaste has many meanings..some of them being..)
The Spirit in me meets the same Spirit in you.
I greet that place where you and I are one.
I salute the Light of life in you.
I receive the free spirit in you.
My energy salutes your energy.
The life in me sees and honors the life in you.
May the life within you be strong.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La Cucina

Cape Painting

Framing: Sources for Frames