The $2,000.00 Store

Before I get into my story, I want you to check out the incredible house boat that I photographed. The gentleman in the photograph is the inhabitant. It reminds me of Olana, home of Frederick Church of the Hudson River School fame, where I got married on the equinox at sunset, ten years ago. (by Bardet who is an interfaith minister) I love Middle Eastern architecture. Perhaps it is because it reminds me of fairy tales and stories from my childhood that involved Sinbad, flying carpets, and wonderful Victorian illustrations that amused and scared me. I would have loved to have seen the interior; that is for the next trip.

Imagine being surrounded by thousands of sailboats, moored at the end of a dock, gently rocking, with a view of San Francisco, Alcatraz, Angel Island, and the Bay Bridge. I would like to experience living on a house boat like that. I am not sure how long I would last, confined in a dark and constantly moving place, but it is enticing, especially in good weather.

The $2,000 store story. Well, I guess you had to be there, but Bardet and I were shopping, and she said "let's go to the 2,000 store!", a joke on the fact that we have more dollar stores where I live than fine department stores or boutiques. Now I am not being a snob. I do shop at the $1.00 store for many an odd item. The helium balloons rock at 1.00 each (Alanna loves them)and I can always find gift/party supplies there.

The truth of the matter is, $2,000.00 stores make me rather nervous, especially when there is a preponderance of them. Bardet was quite at home looking at the clothing,and trying things on. I, on the other hand, just looked at the clothes and figured I was not going to torture myself. I know if I try on a jacket that is to die for, I will be in agony about spending that kind of money on myself. Now nothing REALLY cost 2,000.00. I did not find one piece of clothing over 300-400.00. And the jacket I fell in love with, off white fine linen with vintage looking wood buttons was 275.00.

However, what I did learn from Bardet (who is a clothing/fashion designer)was how to examine the clothing in such stores for style, fabric, panache, get a sense of current fashion, and then shop around at other stores for something similar but at far less. Like my very very cool heavy beige linen blazer complete with raw edges for 20.00 - a splendid find at Old Navy, or the very cool pair of pants at Anthropologie on sale.

I had forgotten what it was like to shop, to enjoy trying on clothes with a friend, being honest mirrors of feedback as to whether we really need it, or if it looks good enough to warrant buying.

Thanks Bardetta, for getting me out to play!

And you are probably laughing right now when you read that there is supposed to be 7 inches of snow or more in the higher elevations of the Catskills tomorrow night.

Here's to the west coast. Patti

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La Cucina

Cape Painting

Framing: Sources for Frames