Homophobia at the Metropolitan?

Last night I talked about my world..the secret, and often not-so-secret world of P.A. - a world where everyone is accepted for who they are. This world does not see skin color, religion, or sexual preference. This world is also my reality.

Sadly, this is not the reality of mankind. We pride ourselves on our freedoms, yet live with intolerance, violence, and hate.

Sadly, one of the biggest institutions in the arts, the Metropolitan Museum of art, is perpetuating an air of homophobia by choosing to ignore any mention of the the role of homosexuality in Ancient Greek culture, even when the artifacts that reside in the new Greek and Roman galleries graphically depicts it. Yet it is my understanding that heterosexual acts are discussed in the descriptive text on the walls and artwork, but the other side of human sexuality- homosexuality, is ignored.

This is a sin of omission - to leave out such an important part of culture and history. Shame on the curators of such a world renown institution - to color our world with only the colors that they chose to use.

I had a well written article on this which I cannot find ANYWHERE on my computer or in Google searches..no matter how I word it. I regret this as it was a must read, and will email my friend whom originally sent it. As soon as I get the link, I will post it.

You owe it to the world to read it, especially if you are an artist OR curator.

Reporting from the desk of P.A.

PS a card I designed as a final project in my Photoshop class!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Well said.

Popular posts from this blog

La Cucina

Cape Painting

Framing: Sources for Frames